Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that restores the skin’s health by creating micro-injuries on its surface and stimulating collagen production. Patients who had microneedling treatments are usually advised to avoid strenuous physical activities for some time after their in-office procedure. This is also true for people who have microneedling treatment at home. But with no skin professional or dermatologist to consult with, many people might be clueless about the best time to workout and other aftercare tips.
So when should you start working out after using Dr. Pen? Exercising immediately after the microneedling treatment increases blood flow to the treatment areas, causing swelling, pain, and skin sensitivity. Depending on the intensity of the treatment, patients are advised to wait around 48 to 72 hours to allow the skin to fully heal before working out.
When Is the Best Time to Exercise After a Microneedling Session?
Although microneedling is much safer for the skin than other surgical procedures, it’s normal for patients to experience common side effects like redness and swelling after their at-home microneedling treatments. However, they might experience worse symptoms if they don’t avoid certain activities or chemical irritants.
Is It Safe to Workout After Microneedling?
Working out right after microneedling treatments isn’t recommended because it increases the risk of redness, swelling, and bruising. Strenuous exercise increases blood flow and causes swelling, redness, or bruising in the treated sites. It also makes the open wound feel more painful.
Sweating during the workout might also irritate the open wounds on the skin regardless of their size. This only leads to more discomfort, which is why it’s better to let the micro-injuries heal first before trying out strenuous activities. Wait for about 48 to 72 hours for the wounds to close before returning to the usual workout routine.
But for other kinds of exercises, there might be a need for additional precautions. Here are some of the most common types of physical activities to avoid right after a microneedling treatment at home:
1. Cardio Exercises
Cardiovascular exercises (or simply “cardio”) are physical activities that help the body maximize the oxygen in the blood and produce more energy. They require using the large muscle groups of the body to increase heart rate, oxygen levels, and respiration. Cardio exercises have numerous health benefits including improved heart health, mood, mental health, sleep quality, metabolism, and weight regulation.
Some of the most common kinds of cardiovascular exercises include running, jogging, brisk walking, and burpees. However, it’s only recommended to return to these kinds of activities about 48 hours after the microneedling treatment to avoid irritation, infection, and other possible side effects. Patients who had intense microneedling treatments might need to wait longer for the wounds to close.
Swimming is another type of cardio exercise that should be avoided right after a microneedling treatment. Aside from increasing the blood circulation during the exercise itself, the chlorine from the pool might also irritate the healing skin after the treatment.
There’s also the risk of developing an infection when the skin is broken and the pool water isn’t properly chlorinated. The tiny holes on the skin might not be visible, but it’s better to wait a while to let it fully heal. In addition to swimming pools, patients should also avoid steam rooms, hot tubs, and saunas for about 48 hours after their microneedling treatment at home.
3. Yoga and Pilates
The precautionary measures after microneedling depend on the specific type of yoga. Hot yoga isn’t recommended because it involves heat that raises the body temperature, making the treatment areas feel uncomfortable and stingy. Regular yoga sessions should also be avoided for a while because it increases blood flow and puts the patient at risk of swelling and bruising.
Gentle Pilates or yoga should be fine after about 24 hours. But if you’re heading out to a yoga or pilates class, it’s important to remember that the skin still looks sunburned for a few days. Patients should be prepared to go outside without hiding the redness of the treatment areas. Putting on makeup or other harsh products on the treated skin might only cause infection or irritation.
Should You Exercise Before Microneedling Instead?
Working out right before your micro needling sessions at home isn’t recommended for two reasons – increased risk of swelling and hyperpigmentation. Exercising increases blood flow to the face, which makes it easier for the treatment areas to bruise and swell. It also makes the treatment a lot more uncomfortable than normal.
If the patient prefers exercising outside, it’s also important to observe the weather for the days leading up to the at-home microneedling procedure. Being exposed to the sun (or the UV rays to be specific) increases the risk of the formation of pigmentation patches on the skin. One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is to use high protection sunscreens every time the patient exercises outside.
Other Things and Activities to Avoid After a Microneedling Treatment at Home
Aside from exercising, there are also lots of other things and activities to avoid after a microneedling treatment like:
- NSAIDs – The anti-inflammatory drugs slow the skin’s healing process, which is why it’s best to avoid them for about a week after the microneedling treatment at home. NSAIDs also thin the blood, causing bruises to appear.
- Cosmetics – Don’t wear makeup for the first week after microneedling. But for those who can’t go on a week without makeup, try to at least avoid them until the skin starts peeling. Around this time, it’s fine to use minimal makeup. The patient may start wearing all their favorite makeup again once the peeling has stopped.
- Ice – The ice prevents the natural inflammatory process that occurs when the skin starts healing. Avoid applying ice to or near the treatment areas so that they may heal faster. Patients should also avoid taking supplements or medications that have anti-inflammatory properties for a while after the treatment.
- Alcohol – Alcohol has dehydrating properties because it’s a diuretic. Dehydration drastically slows down the healing process of the skin, which is why alcohol consumption should be avoided for the first week after the treatment. Alcohol and other diuretics also flush the essential micronutrients out of the body.
- Tobacco – Like alcohol, tobacco products also affect the skin’s healing process after the microneedling treatment. Make sure to avoid cigarettes and other tobacco products about a week after the treatment.For those who find themselves craving nicotine, go for a walk or eat a crunchy snack instead.
- Picking on the skin – The skin usually starts peeling a few days after microneedling. It’s tempting to pull the peeling skin to help speed up the process, but it might actually slow the healing process or lead to a skin infection. The fingertips might also irritate the treated skin, which is why it’s best to leave the peeling skin alone.
- Over-moisturizing the skin – Although moisturizing the skin after the treatment is recommended, it’s also important not to overdo it. Over-moisturizing only makes the peeling process take longer. Just apply a gentle moisturizer on the skin about once or twice a day depending on the patient’s skin type (dry skin, oily skin, or sensitive skin).
Other Aftercare Tips for At-Home Microneedling
After 24 Hours:
- Wash the face with clean, lukewarm water right after the treatment. It’s also recommended to use a gentle cleanser and apply some hyaluronic acid serum to calm and hydrate the skin.
- Avoid going outside without applying a high-protection sunscreen first.
- Use a nourishing moisturizer, but avoid products that contain reactive ingredients, fragrances, and acids. Toners and physical scrubs should also be avoided for the next few days.
After 48 Hours:
- If the skin starts peeling, use a washcloth to gently exfoliate it. Don’t use harsh chemicals or physical exfoliants that might irritate the skin.
- If the skin still feels sensitive, don’t try to exfoliate it yet. Continue applying gentle moisturizers and washing with a mild cleanser of choice about twice a day to hydrate the skin better.
After 3 to 5 Days:
- Continue applying high protection sunscreen every day, especially when heading out. But even with a broad spectrum sunscreen, patients should still avoid direct and prolonged sun exposure to maximize the effects of microneedling.
- During this time, it’s still better to opt for gentle moisturizing and hydrating products instead of those that contain an active ingredient like Vitamin C, glycolic acid, or retinoids.
After 7 or More Days:
- Patients may slowly return to their skincare and workout routines about 1 week after treatment or as long as their skin has stopped peeling and feeling sensitive.
- Microneedling treatments at home should only be performed about 4 to 6 weeks apart to allow the skin to fully heal and the results to show.
Read More: Instructions on How to Use a Dr Pen
Improve Skin Texture and Tone With Dr. Pen Products at FACE Med Store
Dr. Pen A9 Replacement Needles – Bag of 10- 18 Pin Needles
Dr. Pen A9 Ultima Pro Microneedling Pen Plus 5-HA Serum and 10 EGF Masks
Dr. Pen A6 replacements needles – 12 pin – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen A7 Microneedling Pen with 10 12-pin needles
Dr. Pen A7 replacements needles – 12 pin – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen M8 plus 10-16 pin needles
Dr. Pen M8 Replacement Needles – Bag of 10 PLUS 10 HA serum and 10 EGF masks
Dr. Pen M8 replacement needles – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen A6 10 replacement needles (12-pin) plus 10 EGF Masks
Taking care of the skin after Dr. Pen microneedling treatment sessions at home ensures that each patient gets the best results and avoids adverse reactions. Following the right aftercare tips also allow them to soothe the redness or swelling and assist the skin to speed up the healing.
If you’re looking for a trusted distributor of authentic Dr. Pen products, then visit us at FACE Med Store today. Our partnership with different medical tool manufacturers allows us to offer high-quality tools and devices at the right price. Call us now to place your order.