Microneedling is a popular skincare treatment that helps treat a multitude of skin conditions like wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, and atrophic acne scars. Although they’re usually performed inside a doctor’s office, patients also have the option to try microneedling at home thanks to curated kits like Dr. Pen.
So how should you use a Dr. Pen for at-home microneedling treatments? When buying a microneedling pen, make sure to check its speed, depth of penetration, power, and cartridge availability. These derma pens usually come with specific instructions by the manufacturer, but the most important steps to remember are cleansing the face before use, working in small treatment areas for better coverage, and avoiding reused cartridges as much as possible.
A Complete Guide to At-Home Microneedling with Dr. Pen
Microneedling is a non-surgical procedure that tightens the skin and improves its overall appearance. During the treatment, the microneedling device is applied to the skin to create micro-injuries that stimulate the body’s natural production of collagen and elastin. The micro-channels also allow the skincare products to reach deeper into the skin for better rejuvenation effects.
Although in-office microneedling treatments are a lot cheaper than surgical procedures for the skin, they still cost patients hundreds of dollars per treatment. Many of them try to save their money and buy microneedling kits like Dr. Pen instead. These devices won’t produce the same results as professional treatments, but they still show significant improvements on different skin conditions.
If you’re curious about microneedling with Dr. Pen devices but don’t know where to start, here’s a handy guide to help you out:
What to Consider Before Buying a DermaPen
Derma pens come in different types, which is why it’s important to be familiar with its features to find the best device for you. Here are some things to consider before buying a DermaPen like Dr. Pen for at-home microneedling treatments:
- Speed – This refers to the effectiveness of the device and how well it adapts to specific treatment areas. A good microneedling pen for beginners should have at least three different speed settings.
- Depth of Penetration – Derma pens also have varying depths of penetration that reach up to about 2 mm below the skin. The recommended depth of needle penetration depends on the skin condition or treatment area. Dr. Pens come with a rotating dial that allows users to adjust the needle depth accordingly.
- Power – Microneedling pens are available as battery or electricity-powered. Wireless derma pens allow better mobility, which is why most patients opt for this type instead. Whichever type of dermapen you’re using, always make sure that they’re fully charged or you’re near a power source before the treatment.
- Pins Per Cartridge – The tiny microneedling pins in a microneedling device come in different pin options – 12-pin, 16-pin, and 36-pin cartridges. Beginners usually start with fewer needles and work their way up to using 36-pin cartridges. The 12 and 16-pin cartridges are usually used for fine lines, wrinkles, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation while 36-pin cartridges work best for stretch marks, skin discoloration, and enlarged pores.
- Cartridge Availability – Aside from the type of cartridge needed, patients should also consider its availability. Cartridges are made for single use only to avoid infection, irritation, and other side effects. It’s important to be able to easily order them whenever necessary.
Comparing the Best Dr. Pen DermaPens
Dr. Pen produces some of the best microneedling pens available for home use. Each of their derma pens were created using the best materials to give patients better access to affordable and effective skincare treatments. Here are some of their best microneedling pens:
1. Dr. Pen Ultima A6 Microneedling Pen
This Dr. Pen microneedling device is one of the most popular derma pens for at-home treatments. Its ergonomic shape allows easy glide on the skin while the needles penetrate up to 2.5 mm deep into the skin.
Although it’s an affordable option, Dr. Pen manufacturers ensure that the Ultima A6 Microneedling Pen doesn’t fall short when it comes to producing high-quality results. Patients usually experience significant improvements in their skin even after just using the device for a short period.
|The design makes it easy for beginners to start their microneedling treatment at home without much problem.||The dermapen doesn’t come with a digital display to accurately display its speed. It has a flashing light on the button instead that blinks faster as the patient increases the speed.|
|The device has five different speed settings to choose from.|
2. Dr. Pen Ultima A6S Professional Microneedling Pen
Dr. Pen Ultima A6S microneedling pen is an upgraded version of their popular Ultima A6 microneedling pen. It’s safe to use on the skin for eliminating acne scars, skin discoloration, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
Patients have the option to use the device with or without wire. The Dr. Pen Ultima A6S Microneedling Pen comes with two rechargeable and high-capacity batteries.
|This device offers almost the same features as the Ultima A6 Microneedling Pen but is better, such as the six speed level settings and digital display for the speed.||The microneedling kit only comes with a limited number of 16 and 36-pin cartridges. Patients who prefer others or need more cartridges may order them from a trusted distributor instead.|
|It holds the cartridge better thanks to the three notches.|
3. Dr. Pen Ultima A7 Professional Microneedling Pen
This microneedling pen is one of the most powerful models available in the market. It’s popular for providing the best results in a short period. The Ultima A7 microneedling pen only comes in a wired model, but the cord extends up to two meters – just enough for patients to perform the treatment in different parts of their bodies.
Dr. Pen Ultima A7 Professional Microneedling Pen also offers great precision and stability. Its fine needles are effective in jumpstarting the body’s collagen production for the treatment of different skin conditions like stretch marks, wrinkles, acne scars, enlarged pores, uneven skin tone, and more.
|This microneedling pen uses a powerful motor that reaches up to 18,000 RPM. This leads to a more efficient application and excellent results.||Since the device has a powerful motor, it’s only available in a wired model. Patients should make sure to perform the microneedling treatment near a stable power source.|
|The microneedling kit includes fine needles that are best used for stimulating collagen production and treating different skin conditions.|
4. Dr. Pen Ultima M8 Professional Microneedling Pen
The Dr. Pen Ultima M8 Professional Microneedling Pen was specially created to make intense skin treatments a lot more bearable with its ultra-fine needles. It’s a helpful device that helps patients boost the formation of collagen, improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, erase acne scars, and even out the skin tone.
This personal microneedling kit only comes with five cartridges (two 16-pin cartridges and three 36-pin cartridges). Patients may buy more cartridges as needed since they’re only made for one-time use.
|ProsConsThe kit includes ultra-fine needles, allowing patients to perform more intense treatments without worrying about extreme pain.||The microneedling device doesn’t have separate batteries, so the only way to charge it is to plug the entire unit directly into a power source. Patients have the option to use it as corded or cordless.|
|It comes with six different speed levels and an LED display to show the speed accurately.|
Preparing the Treatment Areas
- Wash the face with your choice of cleanser to eliminate all dirt, oil, makeup, and other debris that might cause irritation or infection. Tie the hair to keep them away from the face.
- Application of numbing cream is optional, but it helps ease the discomfort during the treatment. Make sure to use a numbing cream with at least 5% lidocaine content and leave it on the skin for about 20 minutes. Remove the numbing cream then cleanse the treatment areas again.
- Prepare the hyaluronic acid serum (or other hydrating serums of choice) and apply it before gliding the microneedling device on the skin. This helps the device move more smoothly on the skin and prevents dragging.
- Make sure that the Dr. Pen is fully charged or there’s a power source nearby if using a wired model.
How to Perform Microneedling at Home
- Open the cartridge packet and attach the needles to the device. Make sure that both hands are clean when doing this. Avoid touching the tip of the needles to prevent infection or irritation.
- Adjust the needle depth using the button or dial on the microneedling pen. The recommended needle depth depends on the areas of skin condition being treated.
- Start working in small areas and gently glide the device over the skin. This allows better coverage of the treatment areas.
- The best movements to follow for microneedling are vertically, horizontally, then diagonally in both directions.
- Make sure to only put light pressure on the skin to reach the right depth without too much dragging.
- Repeat the motions twice over the treatment areas. Feel free to use the other free hand to pull the skin taut.
What to Do Right After the Treatment
- Wash the face with clean, lukewarm water.
- Apply some more of the hyaluronic acid serum to calm and hydrate the skin.
- Discard the cartridge properly. These needles were only made for one-time use. Reusing them only makes them dull and puts the user at risk of infection.
- Mild swelling and redness are normal right after the treatment.
- Avoid using harsh skincare products that contain active ingredients, acids, or fragrances. Scrubs and toners might also irritate the skin so don’t use them immediately after the treatment.
Aftercare Instructions for Microneedling
After 24 Hours
- Wash the face using a gentle cleanser and apply a moisturizer to minimize flaking skin, mild swelling, peeling, and bruising.
- Avoid strenuous activities and apply makeup for a while.
- Prolonged sun exposure should also be avoided. If you must head outside, make sure to apply a high protection sunscreen.
After 48 Hours
- Continue hydrating the skin with moisturizers.
- Start gently exfoliating the skin to speed up the healing process, but make sure to avoid chemical and physical exfoliants.
- Don’t exfoliate the skin if it feels sensitive.
After 3-5 Days
- Continue applying the sunscreen and avoid prolonged sun exposure for up to one week after the treatment.
- The skincare routine should focus more on gentle moisturizing and hydrating products while avoiding toners, active ingredients, scrubs, and acids.
After 7+ Days
- You may start returning to the regular skincare routine.
- Common side effects usually start to subside while the results start to show around this time.
- Microneedling treatments should be performed about 4 to 6 weeks apart. Multiple sessions are required to achieve the best results.
Get Clearer and Blemish-Free Facial Skin with Dr. Pen Kits at FACE Med Store
Dr. Pen A9 Replacement Needles – Bag of 10- 18 Pin Needles
Dr. Pen A9 Ultima Pro Microneedling Pen Plus 5-HA Serum and 10 EGF Masks
Dr. Pen A6 replacements needles – 12 pin – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen A7 Microneedling Pen with 10 12-pin needles
Dr. Pen A7 replacements needles – 12 pin – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen M8 plus 10-16 pin needles
Dr. Pen M8 Replacement Needles – Bag of 10 PLUS 10 HA serum and 10 EGF masks
Dr. Pen M8 replacement needles – 10 Pack
Dr. Pen A6 10 replacement needles (12-pin) plus 10 EGF Masks
Patients who want to improve the quality of the skin without the expensive in-office microneedling procedure may try the treatment in their own home thanks to Dr. Pen. Just make sure to buy a kit from trusted distributors to avoid using counterfeit devices that might do more harm than good.
FACE Med Store is a trusted distributor of high-quality medical supplies at affordable prices. All of our products are cheaper than other similar and in-demand products in the market. Visit our site now to shop for the authentic Dr. Pen kits and cartridges.