Beard not filling out how you hoped? Derma rolling can help, but overdoing it can backfire. At Face Med Store, we know beard growth solutions that work because we’ve been providing derma rollers and other supplies to medical spas and aesthetic practices for years now.
Based on our experience, the most important topics to tackle are the risks of overuse, proper at-home derma rolling techniques, and aftercare to boost results.
That’s why we took the time to answer how to optimize your derma roller usage frequency to maximize beard thickening and growth.
How Often Should I Use a Derma Roller for Beard Growth?
Experts at Face Med Store suggest derma rolling no more than once per week for beard growth based on our experience with clients and medical providers. Derma rolling for your beard any more often than that can risk damaging your facial skin.
- For 0.25mm microneedles, you can safely use your derma roller every other day. The tiny needle depth allows more regular stimulation of hair follicles and collagen without over-exfoliating.
- For 0.5mm needles, which is the ideal length for optimal beard growth results, we suggest using your derma roller up to 3 times per week. This strikes the right balance of inducing micro-injuries to prompt gains while allowing adequate healing time.
- If you are using a derma roller with longer 1mm needles, it’s best to use it only once every 10-14 days according to our guidance. The deeper penetration requires extra recovery time between sessions to avoid irritation, redness, and skin injury.
Less frequent 1-2 times weekly use with 0.5mm rollers is optimal for facial hair enhancement without skin damage. While derma rolling too often with longer needles risks more harm than good. Take it slow, in short.
What’s the Recommended Frequency for Derma Rolling to Promote Beard Growth?
According to our experience, the “goldilaw” frequency for derma rolling to boost beard growth is once every 7-10 days. Derma rolling for your beard growth once a week gives your skin enough time to recover between sessions while still providing frequent enough collagen induction therapy. This facilitates optimal new facial hair growth.
Derma rolling too frequently can overload and injure the skin, leading to irritation, redness, and disrupted cellular renewal. Starting with longer 10-day intervals between sessions allows your skin tolerance to develop. Once it has been adjusted, you can potentially move to rolling every 7 days. But we don’t advise derma rolling any more than once per week even after building tolerance.
If after a month you don’t notice improvements rolling weekly, you can try increasing it to 2 times per week max. But never roll over skin that still looks or feels irritated. Waiting 24 hours isn’t enough – skin takes days to fully heal internally. Rushing sessions will likely worsen beard growth.
Can I Use a Derma Roller Daily for Beard Growth?
We strongly advise against using a derma roller on your face daily. Daily derma rolling provides no additional beard growth benefits compared to weekly use. But it significantly increases your risk of damaged skin, inflammation, scarring, and other issues.
The microneedling from the derma roller creates micro-injuries to stimulate collagen and facial hair follicles. Excessive bleeding may occur if you press the roller too firmly against your skin, which could be a sign that you are using the derma roller too frequently or applying too much pressure.
Your skin needs adequate time to fully heal between these controlled injuries for maximum growth results. Derma rolling too often disrupts that healing process.
Additionally, research shows the platelet-derived growth factors that promote beard growth peak 24-48 hours after microneedling. A study by Biernaskie et al. supports this, finding these growth factors need time to work optimally. So giving your skin several days of downtime between sessions allows these growth factors to work optimally.
Beyond just derma roller frequency, there are other lifestyle factors that play into robust beard growth that are good to keep in mind:
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet to give your hair follicles the nutrients they need to thrive.
- Manage stress levels and get sufficient, quality sleep to enable your body to direct energy towards optimal beard growth.
- Engage in regular exercise to increase blood flow and circulation to your face, providing nourishment and oxygen to the skin and follicles.
- Pay attention to nutrition, rest, relaxation and activity for a holistic approach to growing your best beard.
Is There a Specific Routine for Derma Rolling to Encourage Beard Growth?
At Face Med Store, we recommend the following best practice routine for at-home derma rolling to safely enhance your beard’s thickness and fullness:
Cleanse and disinfect your face and your derma roller head before use. This prevents infection risk.
Roll the derma roller across your cheeks, jawline, chin and neck in vertical, horizontal, and diagonal motions. Apply light pressure. Roll 4-5 times over each area.
Post-treatment, rinse your face with cool water and pat dry. Apply a natural beard oil or moisturizer to soothe your skin and keep it hydrated as it recovers.
Avoid retinoids, Alpha Hydroxy Acids, sun exposure, or other irritants on your face for at least 24 hours after derma rolling.
By giving your skin time to heal between sessions while following proper sanitary technique, you can maximize derma rolling benefits for beard growth.
What’s the Ideal Derma Rolling Schedule to Enhance Beard Growth?
According to Face Med Store’s experience, we suggest the following stepped derma rolling schedule for optimal beard growth:
- Begin by derma rolling every 10 days. Allow your skin to adjust to the micro-injuries.
- After 2-3 sessions at 10-day intervals with no irritation, increase frequency to every 7 days.
- Continue with weekly sessions, monitoring for any skin redness or sensitivity. Reduce frequency if those occur.
- Stick with your routine consistently for at least 3 months for best beard enhancing results.
Adjust your individual frequency up or down within the 7-10 day range based on your skin’s tolerance and beard growth response. But remember, more is not better when it comes to derma rolling. Don’t overdo it thinking faster beard growth will follow. Keeping to the Goldilaw of 7-10 days between sessions is ideal.
What Are the Best Natural Oils for Beard Hair When Using a Derma Roller?
Face Med Store recommends natural beard oils rich in vitamins and fatty acids to nourish your skin after each derma rolling session. These are argan oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, and Vitamin E.
- Argan oil – A study found daily argan oil improved skin elasticity and collagen production. Its lightweight consistency won’t clog pores.
- Jojoba oil – Research shows it has antioxidant effects and restores skin and hair health. Helps strengthen hair follicles.
- Grapeseed oil – A review found it helps maintain skin moisture barrier. High in linoleic acid to hydrate skin and reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin E oil – Another review revealed it inhibits free radicals and protects skin. Stimulates blood flow to the skin and hair follicles.
Look for 100% pure, cold-pressed versions of these oils. After derma rolling, apply a few drops in your hands, rub together, and gently massage them into the skin under your beard. This helps counteract dryness and sensitivity while delivering nourishment.
Following the ideal once-per-week derma rolling routine allows you to stimulate facial hair growth through microneedling without overdoing it. Allow about 7-10 days between sessions for proper skin recovery. Always disinfect properly, use natural beard oil after rolling, and be consistent. With this approach, your beard will fill out optimally according to our experience.
Try our Derma Roller plus Hyaluronic Acid package today. Or browse our full shop of derma rollers, needles, and other medical supplies priced for value. Thanks for reading!