Dispel the myths and learn the facts about this buzzed-about new anti-aging facial.
Exosome facials may offer the next generation of powerful yet gentle anti-aging benefits. But do they really work and are they safe? If you’ve noticed more wrinkles, sun spots, or loss of firmness and want youthful skin revitalization, keep reading.
The Face Med Store’s Dr. Soni will answer your top questions about how exosome facial treatments can smooth fine lines, even skin tone, boost collagen, and restore a radiant, glowing complexion
What is an Exosome Facial Treatment?
An exosome facial treatment applies a serum containing exosomes topically onto the skin to stimulate collagen production, cell turnover, and overall skin rejuvenation for anti-aging benefits.
When applied, the exosomes in the serum penetrate into the skin and transfer their contents to skin cells. Exosomes contain a host of revitalizing growth factors, proteins, and genetic material. According to Dr. Soni, the exosomes provide skin cells with exactly what they need to:
- Ramp up collagen and elastin synthesis for firmer, more toned skin
- Reduce oxidative damage and inflammation
- Accelerate cell turnover and tissue regeneration
- Improve skin hydration and smooth texture
In essence, exosomes are able to jumpstart the skin’s natural renewal and repair mechanisms. This stimulates overall rejuvenation and anti-aging benefits.
Get the real facts on exosome facials from Face Med Store’s experienced professionals.
How Long Does Facial Exosome Therapy Last?
The smoothing and rejuvenating effects of an exosome facial can last 6 months up to 1-2 years, with maintenance sessions every 6-12 months recommended for optimal long-term benefits.
Based on our experience, you won’t see the full anti-aging benefits overnight. Dr. Soni advises that noticeable improvements take 2-4 weeks to develop as the exosomes gradually renew skin cells. Optimal rejuvenation is seen around 6-8 weeks after starting treatment.
According to Dr. Soni, the smoothing, firming and brightening effects of a single exosome facial can last 6 months up to 1-2 years depending on your age, sun exposure, and skincare regimen. He recommends maintenance sessions every 6-12 months.
To clarify, exosome facials involve applying an exosome-containing serum or gel topically to the skin, often with microneedling. Exosomes are not injected. The treatment itself takes 15-30 minutes.
Is Exosome Therapy FDA Approved?
Exosome therapy does not currently have FDA approval for any medical uses, including facial rejuvenation. Some clinics falsely claim FDA approval, so experts advise carefully vetting providers.
The FDA Approval Landscape for Exosome Therapies
Exosome therapies have generated excitement for their potential to treat various conditions. However, regulatory approval remains an obstacle according to experts like Dr. Soni. Here is an overview of the FDA approval landscape:
- The FDA confirms there are no approved exosome biologic products for any medical use, including facial rejuvenation.
- Exosomes intended to prevent, treat or cure diseases require FDA approval per regulations.
Risks of Unapproved Exosome Therapies
- Some clinics offer unapproved exosome treatments and falsely claim FDA approval or exemption.
- Dr. Soni advises carefully vetting providers and requesting documentation to verify any FDA claims.
- The FDA has issued consumer warnings regarding risks of unapproved exosome products.
Progress Towards Approval in Clinical Trials
- Over 150 clinical trials are in progress exploring exosome therapies. But none have achieved FDA approval so far.
- Challenges like large-scale manufacturing and analysis of exosomes remain obstacles to approval.
- Research groups continue working to address these hurdles and move towards approved applications.
What are the Potential Side Effects of an Exosome Facial?
Exosome facials are lauded as safe, non-invasive anti-aging treatments. However, some minimal side effects are possible in rare cases.
- Allergic reaction – As with any topical product, allergies can occasionally occur but are very uncommon.
- Ineffective treatment – If exosome levels are too low or cell targeting is incorrect, results may be suboptimal.
Risks of Injecting Exosomes
- Injection site reactions – Temporary redness, swelling, bruising, or pain may occur at injection sites. These typically resolve within several days.
- Infection – Seen primarily with unregulated exosome products. Properly sourced, pharmaceutical-grade exosomes have low contamination risks.
Precautions and Safety Tips
- Discuss medical history – Make sure you are a good candidate and address any pre-existing conditions or concerns.
- Topical exosomes are very safe – When applied topically as a facial, exosomes have virtually no known side effects according to experts.
How are Exosome Facial Injections Performed?
Exosome facial injections involve injecting exosomes into specific areas of the face using micro-injections, mesotherapy, or after microneedling to deliver exosomes deeply into wrinkles, thin skin, and other targeted treatment zones.
|Exosome Injection Techniques
|Tiny amounts of exosomes are injected into wrinkles, fine lines, and areas of thin skin such as around eyes, lips, cheeks, neck, and hands.
|Multiple micro-injections of exosomes are administered at different depths across an area for enhanced penetration. This is commonly used to treat the face and neck.
|Exosomes are injected after microneedling to deliver them through the tiny channels into the deeper dermis. This amplifies the effects.
|Added to fillers
|Some providers mix exosomes into dermal fillers for injection to boost their rejuvenating effects.
To make the injections more comfortable, a topical numbing cream is first applied to the treatment areas. Dr. Soni states injection precision is key for optimizing results and minimizing side effects. An experienced, licensed provider should perform all exosome facial injections.
While more invasive than topical application, targeted injection allows exosomes to penetrate deeply for enhanced anti-aging effects.
How Does Microneedling with Exosomes Work?
Microneedling enables deeper penetration of topical exosomes by creating tiny wounds and channels in the skin for the exosomes to reach lower dermal layers and stimulate collagen, skin cell renewal, and overall rejuvenation.
Here is how microneedling enables enhanced exosome penetration and efficacy:
- The microneedling wounds stimulate wound healing factors and cell turnover.
- Channels are formed that allow exosomes to reach deeper dermal layers.
- Exosomes are then applied and absorbed through the channels to the deeper skin layers.
- Once absorbed, the exosomes trigger collagen production, cell regeneration, and overall rejuvenation.
Studies show microneedling with exosomes improves anti-aging outcomes compared to microneedling alone according to Dr. Soni. The exosomes accelerate and enhance the natural healing response.
What are the Benefits of Exosome Treatment for the Face?
Notable benefits of exosome facials include stimulating collagen production for firmer skin, improving skin tone and texture, speeding healing, reducing inflammation, protecting from antioxidants, and providing natural, well-tolerated rejuvenation.
- Increased collagen and elastin – Exosomes stimulate the production of these structural proteins leading to firmer, more lifted skin with reduced wrinkles.
- Improved texture and tone – Exosomes even out and smooth skin texture while brightening tone for a radiant glow.
- Faster healing and recovery – Exosomes speed up tissue repair and recovery from procedures like microneedling or laser resurfacing.
- Reduced inflammation – The anti-inflammatory effects help conditions like acne, rosacea, and eczema by calming redness and irritation.
- Antioxidant protection – Exosomes contain antioxidants that shield skin from pollutants and UV damage.
- Natural and well-tolerated – Exosomes utilize the body’s own regenerative mechanisms for safe, effective healing even for sensitive skin types.
How Much Does an Exosome Facial Cost?
Exosome facials typically range from $300-500 per treatment alone, or around $650 combined with microneedling, according to experts. High-end providers may charge $700-1,050 per session. Multiple sessions plus maintenance are usually needed for the best results.
- Exosome serum only – $300-500 per treatment when applied topically as a standalone facial.
- With microneedling – Around $650 total for a combined microneedling + exosome facial treatment.
- Provider fees – Plastic surgeons or high-end clinics may charge more, from $700 up to $1,050 per session.
- Number of treatments – A series of 4-6 sessions spaced 2-4 weeks apart is common for optimal results.
- Maintenance – Follow-up or touch-up sessions every 6-12 months are recommended to maintain benefits, at additional cost.
- Insurance – Exosome facials are usually considered cosmetic so insurance does not cover them.
What is the Aftercare for an Exosome Facial?
Minimal aftercare is needed for exosome facials – avoid sun, use sunscreen, don’t apply products for 24 hours, and expect some short-term redness. Results appear within days and last 6-12 months. Combining with microneedling boosts effects.
According to Dr. Soni, exosome facials require minimal downtime or aftercare:
- Results are visible within days and continue improving over weeks. Benefits can last 6-12 months.
- Avoid applying other skin products for 24 hours post-treatment.
- Temporary redness or pinkness may occur for a couple days.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and use sunscreen if going outside.
- No other special care is required. Patients can resume normal activities immediately.
For optimal results, Dr. Soni recommends:
- Pairing exosomes with treatments like microneedling or laser resurfacing.
- A series of 3-6 sessions spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
- Maintenance sessions every 6-12 months.
Check out Face Med Store for top-quality aesthetic medicine products and training to help you look and feel your best.