For years, platelet-rich plasma injections have been used to help heal torn tendons and joint injuries. But more recently, many doctors have been recommending it as a non-invasive therapy for hair loss. Typically, a series of pure PRP injections are given for hair restoration but it can also be combined with a new regenerative form of treatment that is called ACell.
So what are the effects of combining PRP and ACell for hair regrowth? ACell is a product rich in proteins and growth factors that can activate adult stem cells to promote new hair growth. When mixed with PRP, experts suggest that it can boost cell growth and regeneration of hair follicular tissues to grow thicker and healthier hair.
What To Know About PRP + ACell Hair Regrowth Treatment
Both platelet-rich plasma therapy and ACell are regenerative products that have a beneficial role in wound healing and repairing damaged tissues. The key difference between the two is where they are derived from.
PRP injections are autologous treatments that are derived from the patient’s own blood. It contains a high concentration of platelets that have been separated from red blood cells and white blood cells. These blood platelets have many growth factors that can promote tissue healing and stimulate dormant hair follicles to enter the active growth phase.
On the other hand, ACell is a product created with MatriStem MicroMatrix technology and it uses protein made from the tissues of porcine bladders. ACell’s extracellular matrix tissue is believed to stimulate stem cells in the scalp and act as a scaffold for new hair growth.
Like PRP, ACell is a safe treatment since it is manufactured to remove all cells and muscle tissues that can trigger allergic reactions in people. However, there is some caution to using the product in people with known sensitivities or allergies to porcine materials.
How Does ACell Work for Hair Loss Treatments?
The ACell matrix ideally works at a cellular level to encourage the renewal of damaged hair follicular tissues. With its unique proprietary scaffold technology, ACell can activate and recruit the stem cells to the areas of hair loss and convert them to their active form as progenitor cells.
Once they transform to progenitor cells, they will attract other cell types to go to the site of repair and accelerate tissue regeneration. When used for wound healing, ACell can minimize the appearance of scar tissue. As a hair restoration treatment, it can increase blood supply to the follicles which can increase the thickness of the hair shaft and improve the quality of new hair growth.
How Do PRP and ACell Hair Restoration Work?
The best thing about PRP and ACell treatments is that they’re both non-surgical treatments. Any patient can have them done in a quick office procedure with very minimal discomfort and little to no downtime. Here’s what to expect with a PRP and ACell hair loss treatment:
- The treatment session begins with a blood draw from the patient. Typically, a small volume of blood about 8 to 10 mL is obtained for PRP preparation.
- The blood sample is then placed in a centrifuge machine to isolate the platelet-rich plasma from the other components. The aim is to get a level of platelet concentration that is 5 to 10 times higher than what is found in normal blood.
- After centrifugation, ACell will be mixed with the PRP serum. ACell MicroMatrix comes in a white powder and it is mixed with the serum to get a powerful blend that will encourage hair regrowth.
- Before injecting the PRP and ACell product, a local anesthetic may be applied on the scalp to minimize the patient’s discomfort.
- Once the scalp is numb, the PRP and ACell injections are placed carefully to the areas where hair growth is needed.
- The entire procedure can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on how many sites will be treated.
What Are The Advantages of Combining ACell and PRP Injections?
Platelet rich plasma injections can be administered as a standalone hair loss treatment but it’s hard to overlook its amazing benefits when combined with the ACell matrix. By using both PRP and ACell for hair restoration, it can significantly provide greater hair growth improvements and its results can last longer than platelet therapy alone.
Here are some of the advantages of PRP and ACell serum for hair regrowth:
- Contains a potent mix of growth factors that promote tissue healing such as the vascular endothelial growth factor, epidermal growth factor, platelet-derived factor, and fibroblast growth factor
- Helps slow down the hair thinning process by enhancing the structure of hair follicles
- Has antiapoptotic effects to support a healthy hair cycle and ensure that follicles stay longer in the anagen phase
- Promotes faster transition from the resting or telogen phase of the follicles to the active growth stage
- Stimulates miniaturized hair follicles to grow thicker and stronger hair
- Can be given during hair transplantation surgery to assure survival of hair grafts and improve quality of hair growth in patients
- Accelerates healing time after a hair transplant procedure
How Effective Is PRP + ACell Treatment for Hair Regrowth?
There are limited clinical studies about the effectiveness of the combination of PRP and ACell for hair loss. However, most results are promising enough that many doctors are already giving the treatment to patients who want to achieve new hair growth.
According to the successful treatments, improvements in hair quality and growth can be attained within 4 to 8 months after the PRP and ACell procedure. Following the normal hair growth cycle, hair will continue to thicken and increase in volume over a period of 12 to 18 months. Men may see quicker results compared to women because the growth of short vellus hairs may be concealed by their existing long hairs.
The results of PRP and ACell can vary with each patient but it can last for several years. Most patients who get PRP and ACell can enjoy significant results after a single session but those with advanced hair loss may require maintenance treatments.
Who Can Benefit From This Type of Treatment?
The best candidates for the PRP and ACell treatment are anyone who is experiencing hereditary hair thinning and is in the early stages of hair loss. It can also work on certain types of hair loss such as male and female pattern baldness, androgenetic alopecia, traction alopecia, and alopecia areata. It can also be used to prevent further hair loss and maintain healthy hair without using medications like topical Minoxidil and Rogaine.
Is There An Alternative To PRP and ACell Therapy?
Although PRP and ACell treatments are safe, they may not be the best solution for patients with low platelet counts and underlying disorders like chronic liver disease and active autoimmune disease. One possible hair growth alternative that doesn’t require any blood extraction and needlework is PEP Factor.
PEP Factor products are topical ointments that are applied directly to the scalp for hair rejuvenation. They contain a blend of fibroblast growth factors, nutrients, and copper peptides which can stimulate collagen and new cell production to promote hair regrowth. In addition to growing new hair, it can maintain good scalp health to keep the signs of androgenic alopecia and hair shedding at bay.
Buy Scalp Rejuvenation Products and Supplies at FACE Med Store
Butterfly Needle – 23G 3/4 in. x 12 in. with sliding safety shield- Box of 100
Butterfly Needle – 25G 3/4 inch – Bag of 100
PEP Factor Maximizer
PEP Factor Maximizer – Wholesale Only
Pep Factor For SKIN Rejuvenation
Pep Factor For SCALP Rejuvenation
Butterfly Needle – 21G 3/4 in. x 12 in. with sliding safety shield- Box of 100
Blood Draw Needle Holder (Vacutainer) – Bag of 100
Pep Factor 24 pack – Half and Half Skin and Scalp
As an innovative hair loss treatment, ACell and PRP injections can provide patients with longer-lasting and more dramatic improvements. But to those who may not be an ideal candidate for the therapy, PEP Factor products can be a great alternative to promote hair regrowth. It can also be used to improve and maintain the results of previous hair restoration procedures.
FACE Med Store is a trusted provider of PEP Factor products and other medical supplies for hair rejuvenation. We strive to offer high-quality tools at competitive prices so clients can continue providing the best cosmetic procedures and hair restoration experiences to their customers. Contact us today to know more about products or inquire about our stocks.