The best hair care products work by keeping your hair healthy. With healthy hair that’s strong and hydrated, it becomes much easier to style your hair any way you want. That’s why products like vitamin C serums for hair are becoming a staple part of people’s hair care routines.
So how does one use vitamin C serum for hair? This can be as simple as leaving on the serum after showering. Here’s what you should know about applying vitamin C serum and whether it’s an effective treatment you should add to your regimen.
Steps to Use Vitamin C Serum
The first thing you should do is to identify the type of serum you’re using. Some serums are applied in the morning while getting ready for the day. Others are leave-on serums you put on before going to bed. In this article, we’ll be providing instructions on day serums.
Applying serum to your hair is easy. To nourish your hair, it’s best to apply after showering while your hair is still damp. You can also use it on dry hair after styling to give your hair a layer of protection for the rest of the day. Here’s a guide on how to use vitamin C serum for your hair correctly.
- Dispense a pea-sized amount of serum. For those with medium-length hair, one or two pumps of serum are enough to cover your hair. Avoid using excess serum, as it can make your hair feel greasy and heavy.
- Rub the serum between your palms and then massage the serum onto the middle to the tips of your hair. Keep massaging until all the serum is gone from your hands.
- Style your hair as usual.
- Pump a small amount of serum and rub it on your palms until they’re evenly coated. Apply the serum onto your styled hair starting from the back and making your way to the front. Add more serum to your hands as needed, but be careful not to use too much because this can make your hair look oily.
What Is Vitamin C Hair Serum?
Vitamin C serums are a topical product in the form of a liquid or gel with concentrations of vitamin C. The topical vitamin can be applied to the skin or hair to give the applied areas a stronger dose of vitamin C that your body doesn’t necessarily give.
While you might have vitamin C in your diet, not all of it goes to hair or skin care. Assuming you’re consuming the right amount of vitamin C every day, it can be enough to produce healthy hair. However, it might not be enough to protect your hair from external factors like UV rays, free radicals, heat treatments, and other damaging habits and practices.
Does It Work?
Many people notice a significant difference in their hair’s health after consistently using vitamin C serum in their daily routine. This is because vitamin C plays a role in healthy hair growth as well as protecting your existing hair as an antioxidant.
Over time, you can start to notice how the added vitamin C serum can protect your hair and scalp. By reducing the effects external factors can have on your hair and maintaining a healthy diet with enough vitamin C, you can see the full effect your hair can have from the added serum and see healthier and stronger hair.
Vitamin C Serum Benefits
Vitamin C (or L-ascorbic acid) is essential for several bodily functions. When it comes to the benefits of vitamin C for your hair, there are three main benefits.
First, vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. When there are much more free radicals than antioxidants around you, it can cause oxidative stress. Your hair is vulnerable to this stress, which can lead to premature aging and hair graying. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize the free radicals around you and keep your hair from breaking down due to oxidative stress. As an antioxidant, the properties of vitamin C can also protect your hair from sun exposure. Sun exposure can result in both free radicals and UV exposure, which can age and dry out your hair, making it brittle.
Vitamin C also helps your body with collagen production. Collagen is an essential protein for skin and hair. For hair, proper collagen formation is necessary to develop stronger hair strands. When collagen production is healthy, it can build stronger hair that’s less prone to breakage. Your hair also becomes stronger at the roots, making it less prone to hair fall.
Finally, vitamin C helps your hair by improving blood circulation. Your body needs iron to help with blood flow, but certain conditions and medication can affect your body’s ability to absorb iron. Vitamin C can enhance your ability to absorb iron, which can improve blood flow and keep your scalp and hair follicles healthy.
Other Ways to Keep Your Hair Healthy
Vitamin C serum can protect your hair, but it’s best to also take steps to practice healthy hair habits. Here are some of the habits you should observe to maintain your hair’s health and avoid exposing it to damaging factors:
- Avoid shampooing your hair too much – how often it can vary between people, but an average estimate is around two to three days. If your hair is oily, your scalp itchy, and your head flaky, it’s a sign you’re not shampooing enough.
- Minimize heat treatment – blow dryers, curling irons, and flat irons can dry out your hair’s natural oils. As much as possible, avoid heat treatments when necessary. If you really must use these, use a heat protectant spray or serum before using these devices.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure – this exposes your hair to free radicals and UV rays that can dry out your hair and cause premature aging signs like graying and hair loss. Vitamin C serums can minimize the effects of sun exposure, but wearing a hat outdoors is a good added layer of protection.
- Minimize tight hairstyling – tight ponytails, braids, and cornrows can tug your hair from the roots for long periods of time. This can cause excessive hair loss. Consider tying your hair loosely (or not tying your hair at all) as much as possible.
- Have a balanced diet – having a vitamin C deficiency can affect your hair growth, which can cancel out the effects of applying vitamin C serum. You need to consume sources of vitamin C every day, so if your diet doesn’t have vitamin C-rich food, you can take vitamin C supplements on a daily basis. Consult with your doctor before taking dietary vitamin supplements.
Shop for Hair Care Products Today at FACE Med Store
Vitamin C serum is a great addition to your hair, scalp, and skincare routine. When used properly, it can give your hair an added layer of protection against drying factors that can damage your hair throughout the day. Combined with a healthy diet and proper care for your hair, you can have stronger, thicker, healthier hair to look and feel your best.
FACE Med Store is your go-to online shop for health and beauty supplies, equipment, and other products. We offer high-quality items at competitive prices, perfect for everyday users and businesses that want effective hair care and skincare products without having to pay top dollar. Find great deals by browsing through our online store today.